- First, rinse and drain your quinoa using a mesh strainer or sieve.
- Bring a medium saucepan to medium heat and lightly toast the quinoa to remove any excess water. If adding garlic, add it now. Stir as it toasts for just a few minutes. This step is optional but really adds to the nuttiness and fluff factor of the quinoa!
- Next, add your water, set the burner to high, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered with the lid slightly ajar, for 12-13 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add chopped cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- cook for another 3-4 minutes if there is visible liquid in the pan.
- Toss to combine and taste. You might want more lime juice, cilantro, and spices!