- 2-3.5 ounces of raw red onion slices
- 2 Wasa thins (Sesame flavor is really good)
- 1/4 cup Simple Girl BBQ sauce (Carolina or Southern)
- dash of pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Simple Girl BBQ rub or
- smoked paprika
- chipotle chili powder
- Smart Balance or Pam Spray
- slice red onions - 1/4 inch is about right (too thin they will burn, too thick they will be soggy)
- Pulse Wasa thins in a blender until they are crumbs
Putting it together:
- Place onion slices in a bowl
- top with BBQ sauce, just enough to fully coat them.
- Sprinkle contents evenly and lightly with spices of your choice and salt.
- Remove coated onions to a clean bowl, leaving behind excess BBQ sauce (you can use that later on your salad or protein if you want.)
- Pour in the Wasa crumbs and gently coat onions, DO NOT over-mix this. You don't want to spend too much time n this and over-mix because the crumbs will become soggy.
- Place coated onions into an air fryer in a thin layer. Not too much stacking of the onions - single layer as best as you can.
- Cook at 350 for 7 minutes.
- Halfway through the cooking process, spray the onions with cooking spray and finish cooking.
- Remove from the air fryer and don't forget to get the crunchy pieces out of the bottom for extra yummy goodness on your plate!
Makes up to one serving
- If you use less than 3.5 ounces of onions, remember you can put raw veggies and/or lettuce on the plate. (example: 2 ounces of onion, 1 ounce of lettuce, .5 ounces of tomato)
- Use these crispy onion rings on your burger, pulled chicken or beef, or on a salad.